Zoe's Reviews > Dances with Wolves

Dances with Wolves by Michael Blake

Dec 04, 11

Read from November 29 to December 04, 2011

In my opinion the book is always better than the movie. I loved this movie (which came right in the middle of my Costner phase), so I figured I would probably enjoy the book too.

This book does not disappoint! It is a beautifully written story that made me laugh and cry. There were parts of this book that made me truly terrified of what was going to happen next because I knew how I wanted it to end, and I was worried that it wouldn't!

Unfortunately, it didn't end as I wanted it to, but only because I didn't feel that MY journey with this story was complete yet. If I could have just know how the next three months played out I would have been happy - maybe! On the "always leave them wanting more" scale this was a 10/10.

Even though I have seen the movie, and had a pretty good idea of what was coming next, you never know how much a plot has been "Hollywoodised". I'm pleased to say that the movie stuck closely to the storyline of the book. One of the things that I liked the most is that it didn't take me long to forget what I had seen in the movie and become totally absorbed in the story as if it was the first time I'd heard it. I put this down to the wonderful use of language by the author. I understand that he did a lot of research on the Native American way of life before writing this book and I think that really shines through. His descriptions of people/places/clothes/rituals...I felt like I could have been there and seen it myself.

I would recommend this book to anyone really, but particularly those with an interest in historical fiction, Native American history or (like me) romantics! If you liked the film, you'll enjoy the book and it will answer questions for you that the film might have left you with. If you haven't seen the film or read the book you should do both! Also, the soundtrack is wonderful too!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dances with Wolves.

12/01/2011 page 95
31.0% "So far so good. Parts of the movie that I didn't fully understand make much more sense now!"
show 3 hidden updates…