Chrysoula Tzavelas's Reviews > Cast in Shadow

Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara

Jul 23, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, dragons, series, street, law-enforcement, fantasy-city
Recommended for: People who like Dragaera
Read from November 29 to December 11, 2011, read count: 1

This is definitely three-stars in Goodreads-system: I liked it. Some parts I really liked, some parts I didn't like at all. It balanced out into a net positive.

I loved the worldbuilding-- the many species all living together, the implied histories and so on. I liked getting to see multiple characters of each of the major races, so that no one of them felt like the stereotype. I really want to read more about the world. And I found Kaylin, the protagonist, an interesting character.

I wasn't as enthralled by the implementation of the story. Little details meant to give texture to Kaylin's life (I think) seemed more repetitive than cute. The final quarter of the novel seemed so packed with details that I had trouble following what everybody was talking about-- and when Kaylin was teased for not passing her classes, it meant I felt stupid too. On the other hand, all the obscure details seem to be poised for later development.

I really liked the characters, though: Kaylin, Severn, Tiamaris, Nightshade, and the minor characters as well. And I liked the plot and the story. And the world. I'm looking forward to reading the other ones.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cast in Shadow.