Ning's Reviews > The Iron Knight

F_50x66
Aug 27, 12

bookshelves: fairies, young-adult
Read in August, 2012

WOW. Just WOW! I was completely blown away by The Iron Queen, but this one is even better, if that’s even possible! The beginning was a bit slow with a lot of narration from Ash (and the fact I kept getting interrupted while reading didn’t help), but once I jumped past that hurdle I was completely hooked! Ash, the Winter Prince, is seeking a way to enter the Iron Realm to be with Meghan. At last, we finally learn everything there is to learn about Ash.

I’m not sure where to begin since I just can’t express how awesome this book really is! So, Ash had closed himself off to the world when his love died, but before that, even growing up in the Unseelie Court, where love is a weakness, Ash was different from his brethren. Yes, he did some horrible things, but he just wasn’t as cold or as evil, as others, like his brother Rowan. He played by the rules of the court, but he didn’t revel in them, didn’t enjoy hurting others. There were a lot revealed about Ash that we didn’t know before. However, the best part is the emotional turmoil that Ash goes through as he goes on his quest. Something really unexpected happens that changed Ash’s entire belief and I was there with him every step along the way as he struggled to reach the end of his journey.

I was already in awe with the Nevernever in the first book, but in this one Julie Kagawa really let her imagination run wild! We see a part of the Nevernever we’ve never seen before. Since Faery came from the imagination and dreams of humans, there are always new things to discover in Faery. Then there’re the trials! Omg they’re fantastic!! These trials are no silly personality tests, but dangerous tests where you can easily lose your life. I also loved how Ash couldn’t have done it all by himself but he had to work together with all his traveling companions!

Speaking of traveling companions, where would everyone be without our favorite cait sith? I loved Grimalkin as always and his blithe attitude toward the entire thing. I wish I knew everything about Grimalkin, but his mysterious nature is part of the fun! Whenever I think of him, I think of the Cheshire cat. Puck is also there with his humorous quirks and prankster personality! He can still make me laugh in the most serious situations, but we all know that deep down Puck has his serious and tortured past too. He just hides it a lot better than other people! There’s a third traveling companion that I was surprised but delighted to see! I won’t say anything for fear of spoilers, but I loved them nonetheless.

Like in The Iron Queen, there continues to be a hopelessness to the romance between Ash and Meghan that tore at my heart. At the same time, we see that everything had partly been fated to happen. A lot of alternate possible futures were revealed in this one that I’m super glad didn’t happen! I’m a HEA kind of girl, but Ms. Kagawa didn’t hold back when exploring the consequences if the HEA didn’t happen, and that’s the worst/best part of the book that moved me to tears. I’m a sucker for these kind of impossible and epic romance and the happily ever after that comes when the characters overcome all odds against them.

The Iron Knight is a fabulous end to an amazing series that I know I will read again and again. I already miss the characters and I don’t know when another romance will move me as deeply as that of Ash and Meghan’s. My review really doesn’t do this book justice, so if you haven’t read this series yet, pick it up soon! Ash’s story will stay with you long after his journey is over.

More reviews at Reading by Kindle Fire

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Knight.

Quotes Ning Liked

Julie Kagawa
“Be careful, boy. In some tales, the hero gets eaten by the monster after all.”

Julie Kagawa
“I will be with her again, or I will die. There aren’t any other options”

Julie Kagawa
“Working for Mab now, are you, Wolfman?" he smirked. "Like a good little attack dog? Will you also roll over and beg if she asks?”

Julie Kagawa
“Does a crow become a salmon simply because it wished to? You do not know the first thing about mortality, prince-who-is-not. Why would you want to become like them?"
"Because," Grimalkin answered before I could say anything, "he is in love."
"Ahhh." The Witch looked at me and shook her head. "I see. Poor creature. Then you will not hear a word I have to say"

I was in love. With a human.
I smiled bitterly at the thought. The old Ash, if faced with such a suggestion, would've either laughed scornfully or removed the offender's head from his neck.”

Julie Kagawa
“I admire your tenacity, young prince. Grimalkin is not easy to find in the best of times. You must have come far to seek him out.... And this is not the first place you have searched. I can see it on your face. Why, I wonder? Why does he come so far? What is it that he desires so badly, to risk the ire of the Bone Witch? What is it you want, Ash of the Winter Court?'
'Would you believe the cat owes him money?' Puck's voice came from behind my shoulder, making me wince.”

Julie Kagawa
“Crazy Ash just doesn't have the same ring as Don't-bother-me-or-I'll-kill-you Ash.”

Julie Kagawa
“I have come from the End of the World. From the River of Dreams, through the gauntlet and the Briar and the Deep Wyld, in order to stand before you today. I have but one request—to take my place at your side. To resume my duty as your knight, and to protect you and your kingdom for as long as I draw breath.”
tags: love

Julie Kagawa
“You're here," I murmured, reaching out to touch him, hardly believing this was real. "You came back." Ash's breath hitched, and he put his hand over mine.
"I came home.”

Julie Kagawa
“Geez, you guys. I know I'm popular and all, but seriously, you're a bit too co-dependent for me. I'm going to need you to step away from my personal bubble." A wispy vine-woman curled ivy tendrils around his arm, and he sliced through them with his dagger. "No! Bad Wraith! No touchie!”

Julie Kagawa
“Time has no meaning in the wyldwood. Day and night don't really exist here, just light and darkness, and they can be as fickle and moody as everything else. A "night" can pass in the space of a blink, or go on forever. Light and darkness will chase each other through the sky, play hide-and-seek or tag or catch-me-if-you-can. Sometimes, one or the other will become offended...and refuse to come out for an indefinite amount of time. Once, light became so angry, a hundred years passed in the mortal realm before it deigned to come out again. And though the sun continued to rise and set in the human world, it was a rather turbulent period for the world of men, as all the creatures who lurked in darkness and shadow got to roam freely under the lightless Nevernever skies.”

Julie Kagawa
“Additionally, you can paint a neon sign over our heads that says, 'Easy meal, follow the flashing lights.”

Julie Kagawa
“I’m going to kill you one day,” I told him as we hurried after Grimalkin, back into the swampy marshland. It was not an idle threat.
Puck just laughed. “Yeah. You and everyone else, prince. Join the club.”

Julie Kagawa
“The Wolf snarled, tensing his muscles, as if he wished he could climb the tree after the feline. "One day I will catch you on the ground, cat," he said through bared teeth. "And you won't even know I'm there until I tear your head off." "You have been saying that since before humans had fire, dog," Grimalkin replied, completely undisturbed. "You'll have to forgive me if I don't hold my breath."
- The Big Bad Wolf and Grimalkin”

Julie Kagawa
“No, ice-boy. I never thought I'd see the day when Grimalkin was wrong." - Puck”

Julie Kagawa
“I was Ashallayn’darkmyr Tallyn, son of Mab, former prince of the Unseelie Court, and I was not afraid of a witch on a broom.”

Julie Kagawa
“You realize you've been duped by a fish," I said, watching the catfish grin at me before slipping into the dark waters, lost from view. Puck shrugged.
"Hey, it was going to name one of its grandfish after me," he said, tossing the line into the water again. "That's one of my rules, you know. I refuse to eat anything that names its kid after me.”

Julie Kagawa
“Goodfellow snickered."Wouldn't be any fun if we didn't run into some sort of catastrophe." Pulling his dagger ,he waved me on."After you,your highness.
Puck to Ash”

Julie Kagawa
“If Puck was dead, my world would become as cold and lifeless as the darkest night in the Winter Court”

Julie Kagawa
“We were born from their dreams, their fears and imaginations. We are the product of their hearts and minds. Without a soul we are immortal, yet empty. Remembered, we exist. Forgotten, we die. And when we die, we simply fade away, as if we never existed at all.”

Julie Kagawa
“Do not demean yourself by stating the ridiculous," Grimalkin replied smoothly. Just because my species is vastly superior does not mean you should flaunt your idiocy freely. I know why you are here, dog."
"Really", Puck called, craning his head to look up at the cat. "Well then, would you like to share your theory, furball?”