Elizabeth Jordan-Neil's Reviews > Where the Sidewalk Ends: The Poems and Drawings of Shel Silverstein

Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein

Nov 29, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended for: Anyone
I own a copy

This has to be one of my favourite book of poems. I'd gotten this as a present from a relative for a Christmas gift when I was around 7 years old. At the time it was brand new and I thought it was the worst present anyone could have ever given but now I have come to love and appreciate that gift because needless to say I've worn out my copy to the point where pages are falling out.

I found almost all of Silverstein's in "Where the Sidewalk Ends" entertaining and some very complex in the years I have spent reading though this. Not only is he a genius in the way he sets up the poems use of diction and humour are impeccably utilized! Even if you are not one for poems you most likely won't be able to stop yourself from cracking a smile when reading ones like "Early Bird" "Jumping Rope" and "Sick" while sighing after reading the last line of "L.O.V.E" and "Magic".

Even if you still don't want to pick it up to read yourself because no matter what anyone says you're never going to be the kind of person for poetry then there is at least one last thing I have to say. Pick it up as a gift to your children, grandchildren, niece, nephew, or whomever because it has amazing lesson's to teach about trough a good joke or funny little pictures that kids would enjoy as well. I would clearly recommend this to anyone, I honestly think that there is something that everyone can enjoy in this book.

PS. My personal favourite is "Where the Sidewalk Ends" very deep yet a simple enough read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Sidewalk Ends.