Laura Graves's Reviews > Tempest

Tempest by Julie Cross

Feb 11, 12

bookshelves: 2012, favorites, young-adult
Read from January 17 to February 08, 2012

Review posted 2/15/2012 at Owl Tell You About It.

Okay, I get it. I've spent the past few months seeing this cover plastered all over the web. My feed reader and email were both filled with reviews. I was thinking, "what's the deal?" So, I finally read the synopsis and decided since I love time travel stuff, I should try it and requested a copy on NetGalley. I wish I had read it sooner than I did. It was so good. I went an bought a finished copy the day I finished reading it. I had to put it on my shelf.

Jackson was a great character. He was likable in the beginning, even if I didn't always love his dishonesty with those around him. But he grew throughout the book. Everything he experienced caused him to appreciate everything he had, and I loved witnessing that development. He slowly learned to face his feelings for Holly and it turned the book into something really beautiful.

It also involved a pretty kick ass plot. In Jackson's own words, "forget everything you've ever heard about time travel." This kind of time travel was much cooler. It was a little confusing at first, but very cool. There's tons of action too, which is really gripping. I was dying to know what would happen next for almost the entire book. I read in the acknowledments that it's been optioned for film, and I think it would make a really awesome movie.

I'm excited about this book and I'm eager to know what will happen next. This was a really wonderful debut from a really promising author. Be sure to pick this one up.

This book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley for review. I did not receive any payment in exchange for the review nor was I obligated to write a positive one. All opinions expressed here are entirely my own and may not necessarily agree with those of the author, the book's publisher and publicist or the readers of this review. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempest.

01/17/2012 "Ooh! Time traveling. I'm excited."
show 3 hidden updates…