Eric's Reviews > A Fine Balance

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

M_50x66
Jun 10, 08

Recommended to Eric by: my aunt.
Recommended for: you.
Read in May, 2008

Oh crap. I didn't realize Oprah already marked this book her territory until after I finished it. My copy still smells wild and unbranded so I'll admit to reading it with that explanation.

This is a really, really good tragedy writ beautifully. It is, of course, a classic novel of modern India that stretches obscenely across time and circumstance like one of Russia's greatest. I like the efficient book more as a rule, which this story is not, but Mistry created characters I care about so well that I am prepared to rethink my prejudice.

I think he did a really good job driving his people through tragedy and picked the perfect setting - India, village and city. I think the story's universal lesson is: If you want happiness, you can find it, even in the dark, with the people you let into your heart. But it is also a novel about India, the Emergency, prejudice, injustice and cruelty in Indian society - and the strength of the bonds that accommodate these. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Fine Balance.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anna Since you rate this so highly I may have to read it in spite of Oprah's recommendation:)