Sally G.'s Reviews > Traveling With Pomegranates: A Mother-Daughter Story

Traveling With Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd

Nov 29, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read in February, 2011

This book shares a Mother/Daughter journey (internally and externally) from the perspectives of both Sue Monk Kidd and her daughter Ann Kidd Taylor.

Sue is in the unique position of spiritually reflecting as BOTH a Mother and a Daughter.

The physical settings are Greece, Turkey, France and South Carolina ~ and from those locales we venture into the wonder and wisdom of Greek mythology, the history of the Black Madonna, Mary and Joan of Arc.

Demeter, Persephone and Hecate provide a fertile platform for much of the reflective expression: the roles and transitions of the Young Woman/Maiden, Mother and Old Woman/Crone - and how the final stage of growth may actually be the true merging and acceptance of all three.

The back story to Sue Monk Kidd's Secret Life of Bees is shared too - which I loved.

I rated this book 9.5 out of 10 ~ and feel obligated to share that this was a book club read for me, and the majority of book club members felt the book was self-indulgent, trite and silly. Feelings after reading it were definitely polarized.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Traveling With Pomegranates.