Cole C's Reviews > Brian's Winter

U 50x66
Jan 12, 12

bookshelves: cole-e-bear-books, while-worth
Read in November, 2011

In Gary Paulsen's HATCHET, thirteen year old Brian Robeson is stranded in the Canadian Wilderness. To survive Brian has to use his intelligence, his instincts, and and one tool: a hatchet. If you have read the book you've known that Brian did survive at the end of the summer.
But what if Brian hadn't been rescued? What if Brian had been left to confront his deadliest enemy-Winter.
Gary Paulsen raises the stakes for survival in this riveting and inspiring story as one boy faces the ultimate sacrifice and the ultimate adventure.

I'd recommend this to medium 6th graders to low 9th graders. Just because some of the grammar used in the story. Also there is some violence in this, such as death and shooting. Such as a heart attack that happens to the one and only experienced pilot. But that's not all, when Brian is out in the woods, stranded, he accidentally runs into a Grizzly Bear. Which have 4x better smelling than humans. Luckily, he's able to make it out alive.

I really enjoyed this book just because of the scenery, not like the forest or the DEATH part but more in my head. Such as you can see what's going on when the plane crashes near the lake and when he finds the .22 rifle and when he is stalked by the bear, things like that I could definetely see the scenery. I know I enjoyed reading this book hope you do, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brian's Winter.