Mike's Reviews > The White Luck Warrior

The White Luck Warrior by R. Scott Bakker

7022024
Jun 15, 2016

bookshelves: fantasy, epics, currently-reading

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Luck Warrior.

06/15 marked as: read
06/15 marked as: currently-reading
06/15 page 37
6.0% ""It is not so much the wisdom of the wise that saves us from the foolishness of the fools as it is the latter's inability to agree. -Ajencis, The Third Analytic of Men""
06/15 page 62
10.0% ""You can count the bruises on your heart easily enough, but numbering sins is a far trickier matter. Men are eternally forgetting for their benefit. They leave it to the World to remember, and to the Outside to call them to harsh account.""
06/19 page 119
19.0% "And now the principle of causality is called into question."
06/20 page 162
26.0% ""Nothing makes fools of people quite like a luxurious life...they confuse decisions made atop pillows for those compelled by stones...When they hear of other people being oppressed, they're certain they would do anything but beg and cringe when the club is raised...""
06/21 page 164
26.0% ""Truths were carved from the identical wood as lies - words - and so sank or floated with equal ease.""
06/22 page 219
36.0% "I feel like I need a cigarette after that battle."
06/22 page 227
37.0% ""Complexity begets ambiguity, which yields in all ways to prejudice and avarice. Complication does not so much defeat Men as arm them with fancy. -Ajencis, the Third Analytic of Men""
06/23 page 240
39.0% ""You think we worship the Hundred because they are good? Madness governs the Outside, not gods or demons - or even the God! We worship them because they have power over us." Well that is a dismal theology."
06/24 page 285
46.0% ""Men are fools at the best of times, but when they gather in mobs they lose whatever little reason they can claim when alone. Someone cries out, they all cry out. Someone bludgeons or burns, and they all bludgeon and burn. It's remarkable really, and terrifying enough to send kings and emperors into hiding."" 3 comments