Christina's Reviews > Spies of Mississippi: The True Story of the Spy Network that Tried to Destroy the Civil Rights Movement

Spies of Mississippi by Rick Bowers

Nov 29, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in March, 2011

Interesting true story of the Mississippi Sovereignty Commission, 1956-1973, and how its operatives and investigators followed integration activists, spying on them, researching their families and doing anything they could to keep segregation intact. I'd known quite a bit about the civil rights movement, but I had no idea there was this level of espionage going on, with informants paid to attend NAACP meetings and report back what activities were being planned, and some of the black ministers were high up in the organization and did this for money! Horrible. Excellent book, for high school level readers as it has pretty advanced vocabulary; good suspense-building chapter endings, catchy chapter titles, very readable. I wished the photos weren't just stuck in the middle of the book, though. Needed more design work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spies of Mississippi.