Michelle's Reviews > Never Sit Down in a Hoopskirt and Other Things I Learned in Southern Belle Hell

Never Sit Down in a Hoopskirt and Other Things I Learned in S... by Crickett Rumley

Nov 29, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, teen

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this story. I picked it up because the title made me laugh and I was expecting a cute, but forgettable read. There was a lot more depth to the story than I expected. Jane was a fairly complex character, and each of the girls had a distinct personality. Some didn't get much attention, but I never had trouble remembering who was who, as is sometimes the case in books with a multiple teenage girls. [return][return]Jane does a lot of growing, which I loved and the sarcasm made me laugh. It was also a nice change that the romance element was a very minor piece of the story. The focus is all on the girls and their relationships with each other. The writing completely conveys the Southern feel. I have never visited the South, so I don't know if it was an accurate representation or not, but I could definitely imagine how everything would look from the way the it's described. This book was a really pleasant surprise.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Sit Down in a Hoopskirt and Other Things I Learned in Southern Belle Hell.