Michelle's Reviews > A Conspiracy of Kings

A Conspiracy of Kings by Megan Whalen Turner

Nov 29, 11

bookshelves: fiction, intrigue, teen, own

Sophos is the heir to the king of Sounis, but most people think he is an idiot. His uncle, the king plans to remarry so Sophos figures he will no longer be the heir once his uncle has a child. Then he and his family are attacked by rebels. He is kidnapped and sold into slavery. He is content to live as a slave with no one expecting anything from him or being disappointed in his efforts. But Sophos will not be able to escape his destiny forever.[return] [return]I knew that this story would focus more on Sophos, and the story did flow nicely and it really sets up for what I hope will be another story about how all three countries unite to defeat the Medes. I was hoping to see the other characters we have come to know and love, primarily Gen, King of Attolia. He was in a few sections of the book, but it felt more like a cameo appearance. The Queen of Eddis was a little more visible and I was pleased that they tied up the hints about Eddis and Sophos liking each other. The ending chapter felt a little rushed and was a little to cryptic for me to understand exactly how everything happened. I would have liked a little more explaination as to what exactly did happen. So the finish of the story ended up being a little flat. I had been eagerly awaiting this book ever since the publication date was announced. I loved the first three in the series and perhaps I am being a little hard on the book just because Gen was not in the story very much. I didn't realize how much his character drives the previous stories. I liked Sophos and I was happy to see how everything came together, but for me, Sophos just wasn't as compelling a character as Gen is. Overall though, it was a solid book and will probably be important to understanding the next one in the series, just be prepared that it has a different feel than the previous books.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Conspiracy of Kings.