R.'s Reviews > Lipstick Jihad: A Memoir of Growing up Iranian in America and American in Iran

Lipstick Jihad by Azadeh Moaveni

Jun 21, 08

bookshelves: 2008
Recommended for: journalists who dream of exotic assignments

Not 17 pages into this and already I'm reminded of the huge family portrait of Middlesex, up to and including the immigrants who gather at houses to discuss politics of the homeland, the presence of a tender but dotty grandfather, etc.

Iranians live in an uber-strict wonderland that is half lush Arabian utopia and half Road Warrior-youth sci-fi dystopia. Kind of like eastern Washington. Naw. That ain't fair to Iran - nothing lush out here, except the occasionally, ah, rounded tumbleweed. But, even then, you have to walk a mile along the railroad tracks, usually in the direction of Hanford. You know: our small state's own uranium enrichment program. Good thing Canada isn't Israel. Or are they? Oh, wait. Michael Chabon territory there.

I will watch Azadeh's career with much interest (made easy: here's her blog: http://www.azadeh.info/ ). I suppose her time as a Time magazine journalist honed her writing craft; but still, this is a very well-written remembrance of dangerous times in a dangerous place in dangerous times. And not without moments of humor, and thankfully without anything resembling a sticky romantic subplot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lipstick Jihad.