Joshua Gross's Reviews > Pirate Latitudes

Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton

Nov 29, 11

Read on November 29, 2011

** spoiler alert ** According to the back of the book, this 'completed manuscript' had been found in Michael Crichton's files. I'm not sure what made them think that this manuscript was completed, because it certainly doesn't read like a finished product. The story is very to the point, and not fleshed out very well. It's more telling than showing. It moves along quite quickly, but without any sort of in-depth character development so that while all this exciting stuff is happening I don't particularly care, because I don't really care about any of the characters. I wasn't drawn in by the characters or the briefly described settings, or the action-packed story line. The luck of this miserable crew was just terrible, they were beset upon by the Spanish (on multiple occasions), attacked by a 'Kraken,' and caught in a hurricane. Then arrested and threatened with hanging.

The women in the story have interesting roles. One of them cross-dresses as a man and pretty much acts like a man except when she needs to expose her breasts to distract the enemy. Another, Lady Almont, is rescued from the Spanish, only to whine and bitch afterward, rather like Kate Capshaw in Temple of Doom. After being rescued from the Spanish and protected from aforementioned Spanish, hurricane, and Kraken, she then stabs them all in the back by testifying against them at their trial because she's threatened by the acting governor. But then she changes sides again and helps them escape. Lady Hacklett is a whore, and sleeps with everyone from the King of England to the protagonist, then shoots her husband at the end. Then there's Anne, young, beautiful, and arrested for theft in London, who's sent to the Caribbean and promptly becomes a manipulative whore who is simply a useful tool for the men in the story.

The epilogue then told us in detail what happened to each character, as if anyone cares. I certainly didn't, and while the book was quick and easy to read, it didn't captivate me or really bring anything new or interesting to the genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pirate Latitudes.