Yune's Reviews > Here's Looking at Euclid: A Surprising Excursion Through the Astonishing World of Math

Here's Looking at Euclid by Alex Bellos

Dec 19, 2011

bookshelves: nonfiction, mathematics

Yes, I picked this up for the title. (I also blame a sibling with a degree in mathematics.)

A delightful romp through different fields of mathematics; each chapter stands alone, but I found the author's tone so engaging that I don't see why you'd skip parts of the book. Bellos manages to make his enthusiasm for the subject infectious, as all good teachers do, and thus the included equations aren't intimidating blobs of symbols, but rather illustrations and intriguing puzzles.

From the sociological nature of counting to abaci to sudoku to gambling...you'll see math in the everyday, as well as getting up close and familiar with classic mathematical terms like the Golden Ratio and Sierpinski's carpet.

Do enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here's Looking at Euclid.

Quotes Yune Liked

Alex Bellos
“Mathematicians have, according to Wright, been "unreasonably successful" in finding applications to apparently useless theorems, and often years after the theorems were first discovered.”
Alex Bellos, Here's Looking at Euclid: A Surprising Excursion Through the Astonishing World of Math