Noodle TheNaughtyNightOwl's Reviews > Hard Bitten

Hard Bitten by Chloe Neill

Dec 01, 11

bookshelves: top-reads, paranormal-romance, urban-fantasy
Read from November 29 to December 01, 2011

Wow. Well, what can I say that won't be a spoiler about this one?

It started out, for the most part, to be an OK read, not as good as the last in the series, Twice Bitten, but holding it's own.

And then...

The beautiful world that Chloe Neill had created was turned upside down and my heart shattered. I don't think I have ever been so surprised, shocked, disillusioned and betrayed as I was, reading this book. My constant thought for the past 12 hours has been, how could she do it?

This was perhaps not becoming my favourite series in this genre, but well on it's way to be an inspirational one, and now all I can say is: put it back the way it was, please! How Neill can achieve that and not compromise the integrity of the series, is beyond me, but we'll see. I have book five in my little hot hands, and although I was tempted to just through the damn thing away out of disgust, I can't help it, I need to know if Chloe Neill is on our side.

So, what to give Hard Bitten on the Nici Book Review Scale? I finished reading this book yesterday evening, and it has kept me awake all night, pining for what should have been and unable to accept was has come to be. I am exhausted from lack of sleep, and no book has ever done that to me before. So, a thought. Because it has had such a lasting effect on me, albeit in the most abhorrent fashion, does that make it a great book or not?

I am tempted to give a 10/10, just because I was so shocked and moved by the plot unfolding, but I can't do it, because simply put, no author should ever do what Neill did. It's just not fair.

So, this one gets a couple of points knocked off the score due to the sheer sass of Ms Neill, an 8/10: "Excellent read, well written, fell right into the fictional world created".

But, I will say this, thank you Chloe Neill for reaffirming my love of the power of the written word. This one has definitely left it's mark.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard Bitten.