Maduck831's Reviews > The Society of S

The Society of S by Susan Hubbard

Nov 29, 11

Read in August, 2010

“The Germans call it Ohrwurm, or earworm: a song stuck in one’s brain.” (47) “I want you to understand how things ensued, how one thing caused another,” he said. “As Nabokov wrote in his memoir, ‘Let me look at my demon objectively.’” (103) “My father leaned back in his chair. “Why so forlorn, Ari? Russell also called love a source of delight and a source of knowledge. Love requires cooperation, and human ethics are rooted in that cooperation. In its highest form, love reveals values that otherwise we would never know.” (104) “And the Dalia Lama wrote, “In the practice of tolerance, one’s enemy is the best teacher.” (128) “He looked at the floor. “Humans are always leaving, Ari. That’s one thing I’ve learned. Life is all about people leaving.” (142) “I’d never see her again, I thought. My father was right: people are always leaving. They fall in and out of your life like shadows.” (157) [John Dewey and the Pragmatists] “Malcom’s looked away from us, his mouth half open. As he left the room he looked up once more, at my father, and I couldn’t believe what I saw in Malcom’s eyes. It was love.” (283)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Society of S.