Mish's Reviews > The Street Sweeper

The Street Sweeper by Elliot Perlman

Feb 14, 12

bookshelves: library-friends-books, australian-authors, favourite, fiction, historical, 2011-release
Recommended to Mish by: Kaylene
Read from December 17, 2011 to January 02, 2012, read count: 1

What a truly amazing and well written novel by an Australian writer, Elliot Perlman.

The book starts off in the present tense, New York City with Lamont William, an African American who was recently released from prison. He find a job as a cleaner at a hospital for cancer patients. Lamont is currently on a probation period in his job. He desperately needs to stay clean and on track so he has the security and income to trace the daughter he’s left behind. At the cancer ward that he met and befriends Henryk Mandelbrot. Henryk is a holocaust survivor and he tell Lamont of his horrific time as a prisoner of war in Auschwitz and I must say it was the most intense and heart wrenching account I have read in years.

On the other side of New York and unrelated to Lamont. Adam Zignelik is a historian professor who is having his own personal issues. He is on the brink of depression, his relationship is falling apart and his career is in tatters. With nothing to lose, and as a favour to a friend, Adam conducts some research into the African American involvement into the WW2. In the mist of this, and unrelated to the original research, Adam makes a remarkable discovery; boxes upon boxes full of documents and tape recordings of a very important time in our history.

Initially I was so hesitant to read this book. Just from pure the size and content but a friend highly recommended to me and I’m so glad I gave it a go. It was a powerful and compelling book about history and racism. It looks at the big issues such as the American civil rights movement, the holocaust, but it also looks at these people/characters in the story and how they cope with the day to day pressure of life. There were many character introduced though out the book and the time period shifts from past to present. And sometimes I had to wonder; where is this piece of discovery taking them is or how this character is connected to the others. But with the writers clear, precise and detailed storytelling everything fits together like a glove, and the writing just flows beautifully. I highly recommend it – it’s a must read if you like Historical Fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Street Sweeper.

12/18/2011 page 43
01/01/2012 page 512
100.0% 2 comments
show 9 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kaylene You'll absolutely love this book...it's amazing!

Mish Yes, I can tell I'm going to like this one. I just started last night and couldn’t seem to put it down. I'm already hooked

Dee-Ann I received a free copy in the mail yesterday, so I look forward reading your comments. I probably wont get a chance to read it until next month.

Mish That’s excellent Dee-Ann…good on you.

No problem I will let you know more when I finished but really liking it so far. It’s a big book and with lots of character so you are looking at several stories and issues here; such as Holocaust, Civil rights movement, search for missing daughter…all fascinating and very good writing.

message 5: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie It sounds like a great book to read Mish, adding it to my ever growing TBR list. lol

Mish Haha…..TBR list never stops growing!

Thanks Melanie, It’s an amazing book – worth the read :)

message 7: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Yep mine never stops growing. For every 1 book I read, I add another 2 to the list. Lol