Ben Beaupre's Reviews > London Bridges

London Bridges by James Patterson

M_50x66
Nov 30, 11

“London Bridges” is another book of author James Patterson in his “Alex Cross” series; however it is not a continuation of the other novels. The book begins with an evil-minded man named “the Wolf” leading in the bombing of a small Nevada town as a warm-up for the near future. Investigator Alex Cross is on vacation when he is called into the investigation when the FBI and CIA are threatened directly from the Wolf about his future plans to implode New York, Washington, London and Frankfurt if he does not receive the enormous financial package that he wants. As groups from around the world try and solve the Wolf’s ways and hopefully capture him, the groups under threat become indecisive and are given later deadlines to the tune of a much more expensive financial package. Meanwhile, the Wolf and his counterparts (who are paid heavily to do their “piece” of the whole puzzle) begin imploding bridges in parts of the world and ruthlessly killing innocent people and even each other. As Alex Cross travels the world to solve the case, he learns of his life-threatening conditions in order to find the Wolf. Finally, the Wolf has been tracked down and killed; however, Cross has found the wrong “Wolf” and he continues his investigating. The novel ends when the real identity of the Wolf is accidently and spontaneously found by Cross. With a hefty amount of money and possessions, the Wolf surrenders and proceeds to poison himself.

I loved “London Bridges” and gave it a five-star rating because I found the plot to be very exciting, action packed and I loved the spontaneous plot changes that James Patterson threw in. One of my favorite aspects of a good book (in my opinion) is unexpected and dramatic twists in the plot or a character’s journey through the story. This happened very frequently in “London Bridges” – a very likely reason why I enjoyed this book so much. For example, the identity of the Wolf is constantly up in the air. Finally, Alex Cross believes the Wolf has been killed however he returns home to find his family kidnapped and an email from the kidnapper. The email says on pages 368 and 369: “Your family will be returned today, but now we’re even. You will never see me again. I don’t want to see you, either. If I do, you will die. That is a promise. – Klara Cernohosska, Wolf” This signature was a huge turning point in the novel, as we realized that the Wolf is still very much alive (to our belief) and there is still an incredibly imminent threat to Cross. I also found myself not believing that the sweet, home-loving wife of Alex’s Cross ally was the Wolf – the person who caused so much death, destruction, pain and anger. In the end, Klara wasn’t the Wolf (another surprising turn in the plot) but this was a moment that I loved in regards to the continuation of the plot.

Another reason that I gave “London Bridges” such a strong rating was because despite almost unbelievable ideas that a man could have so much power over top-ranked investigation groups around the world over imploding some of the world’s largest cities, the author, Robert Patterson, pulled you into the story and made you believe the story and feel the emotions with very effective writing. For example, while we may see the Wolf as being a scary, strong and emotionless criminal, he has been investigated and found to have an unfortunate past and he has a very human way of dealing with stress: “One of his sons gave him a rubber handball before the boy died…[the Wolf] squeezes the ball when he gets angry…his family was murdered…” (373). I often have a distaste for what I consider “unbelievable” fiction, however this description of the Wolf is a perfect example of how the author pulls you into a crazy situation with believable details. Because of this, I felt much more naturally satisfied with what I was reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read London Bridges.