Andrea's Reviews > Destiny's Fire

Destiny's Fire by Trisha Wolfe

Jan 15, 2012

bookshelves: arc, read-in-2012
Read from December 31, 2011 to January 02, 2012

What can I say about Destiny's Fire? This is the type of book that makes me so happy to be part of the blogging community, because I'm not sure that I would have ever found it otherwise. And I'm going to warn you up front, I have major love for this book.

From the opening scene; fun, action-packed, and heated, I was hooked. The world in Destiny's Fire is what I'm going to call steampunk-light (I don't know if this is an actual word/phrase, but I'll go with it). Sometimes I find Steampunk books to be overwhelming. All the gears and cogs and cranks and... you know what I mean. I like it, but I just don't follow. But, what I loved the about the world of Destiny's Fire is, while there some mention of gears and levers and such, actual steam is what powers this world. And steam, I understand.

Author Trisha Wolfe described the world so succinctly and vividly that I could actually visualize all of the strange wonders as I read. The dance club, Cogs, the falls, the Academy, they all felt real to me. I was dancing in the club with Dez, I could feel the cool water misting over me , I was in the classroom at the Academy. It was awesome to actually feel like a participant in their world.

All great stories require a great main character. Dez is a girl on the brink of a life-changing transition. A transition all Shythe teens go through, but then again, Dez isn't the typical Shythe teen. She is brave without coming across as arrogant. She is kind without being a pushover. She has loads of responsibility raining down on her and while she may get a tad overwhelmed at times, she keeps herself together.

A girl like Dez is bound to draw the attention of a great guy, right? How about two guys? Jace and Reece help complete a tremendously written love triangle. A lot of people dislike love triangles, and I've been known to be one of those people occasionally. BUT, when you have a well-written triangle, featuring three strong, deserving characters, count me in. Jace, Dez's life-long friend is hot, protective, and a bit of a hot-head, always ready to fight to protect what's his. Reece, new in town and a member of a rival race, is hot, protective, and a bit of a hot-head, ready to fight to get what he wants. See a pattern? These two guys have a lot in common, not that they'd admit it. Neither Jace nor Reece, in my opinion, is a wrong choice. Sure, I have my preference (no, I'm not going to tell you!), but I wouldn't have been mad if, so long as she had a good reason, Dez had chosen the other guy.

I can't possibly begin to touch on every single reason I loved this book. Destiny's Fire was full of romance, action and intrigue; brilliantly paced, swiftly moving from one emotionally or action-packed scene to the next. From the opening sequence to the stunning end, this book is was inventive, riveting and left me begging for more!

Favorite Quote:

"He pulled back, his eyes scanning my face, and then pressed another light, tender kiss to my lips.
'From the moment I looked into your eyes, I've wanted to do that,' he said, and smiled.
'Could've fooled me.' I laughed breathlessly. 'I thought you either wanted to kill me or feel me up.'
'Well...' He chuckled. 'Both at first. All right, then from the moment you punched me, I wanted to do that.' He cocked his head. 'Like I said, when you're angry, you're hot.' " (page 47, ARC)
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destiny's Fire.

Jennifer Lane Great quote you included, Andrea. I don't have anything to compare this to but I agree that the steam punk element was just right.