Ruben's Reviews > Is Marriage for White People?: How the African American Marriage Decline Affects Everyone

Is Marriage for White People? by Ralph Richard Banks

Nov 29, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from November 22 to 26, 2011 — I own a copy

I picked this up last week in doing some research about poverty and education, knowing there's a strong correlation between growing up with two parents as opposed to one. This book is easy to read, and I liked how Mr Banks started with plenty of statistics to show the overall decline in marriage in America and how the decline is most severe among African Americans. The crux of the research is that there is a major power imbalance between Black men and Black women, and that women tend to end up single for want of employed Black men of similar educational levels. He suggests that all Americans would be better off if African American women were to marry the right man regardless of his race.

There is a lot to think about here, and Mr Banks excels in connecting the dots between many things in society we may have noticed but can't explain. It's a topic I'd love to learn more about, and it has a lot to do with education. I was lucky enough to attend his book reading last weekend and was able to ask him a couple more questions about the reasons why things are how they are. He was humble and patient enough to explain things clearly as he presented his research.

On a personal note, I tried to imagine how different my life would be if I had insisted on marrying a fellow Hispanic college graduate who was also a Christian with similar values and life experiences. Chances are, I'd still be looking for her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Is Marriage for White People?.

Kristi Fantastic review! Your review made me decide to go head and purchase the book and I am intrigued with it thus far! Thanks.