Mary's Reviews > Ghost Story

Ghost Story by Jim Butcher

F 50x66
Nov 29, 11

Read in November, 2011

Although the ending was obvious before I so much as opened the book, this was still an excellent story, and one I will read again.

For those of you who may not be familiar with the "Dresden Files", or may have read the first one or two and given up,this is a great series. The first three books aren't great - I think Jim Butcher needed to get his feet under him as a writer.

However, it's very much worth the effort to get into the series. Every book just gets better and better. Harry Dresden is a powerful wizard, but he's also a man - human, and as fallible as the next.

What I like best about the series is that there are no "Wake up, Dorothy" moments - when Harry makes a bad choice, or a good choice that he knows comes with great cost, the consequences are real. As the series progresses, Harry gets more battered - both physically and emotionally - but he just keeps getting back up.

He won't quit. When I feel like life has knocked me down one time too many, and I just want to lie down and give up, Harry is a great inspiration to me about good things that might be just around the corner, if I will only get up again and go look.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Story.