Meg's Reviews > Ashes

Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

Dec 14, 11

bookshelves: young-adult-horror
Read from November 29 to December 02, 2011

We finally did it! We have nuked ourselves into near oblivion! The nukes are EMPs, electromagnetic pulses that “zap” all electronics and the majority of humanity. The only ones who survive and remain human are the elderly (providing they don’t have things like pacemakers implanted in them), young children, and a few young adults. The majority of people dropped dead instantly, but many young adults change. They have become murderous flesh eating zombies.
Alex was hiking by herself in the remote Waucamaw wilderness in Michigan when the EMP detonated. She was one of the lucky few that survived. Together with Ellie, a girl of about 8 and Tom, a soldier on leave, Alex struggles to find a safe way out of the mountains.
I didn’t realize that this is the first book of an intended trilogy until I was more than half way through it. Even though it is the first of three books, the ending was way too abrupt for me. You could almost see the words “to be continued” flash across an imaginary television screen. Also the first half of the book held my interest and kept me turning the pages. The second half not so much. The Alex I had come to know and respect during the first part all but disappeared for most of the rest of the story. Does a little bit of comfort and security really change a person that much? I'm not sure it does. But these faults aside, I definitely want to read the rest of the trilogy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes.

11/29/2011 page 430