oliviasbooks's Reviews > Madly

Madly by M. Leighton

Nov 29, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult-fiction, urban-fantasy-paranormal, self-published, short-stories-essays, mermaids-selkies, cliffhanger, e-version, love-triangle, read-2012, love-story-romance
Recommended to oliviasbooks by: Alexa
Read from January 07 to 08, 2012 , read count: 1

Not really worth reviewing in my opinion. One thing was ridiculously noteworthy, though: The mermaids' tails are of the conveniently modest and young-adult-like clean sort: "By the time I had unclasped my bra and slipped out of my panties, I could feel the protective sheath of shimmering blue-green scales covering me from nipple to nipple and down across my belly to obscure my nudity." Ehhhh? I thought scales were part of the merfolk's nature and not a costume? How can they use their nipples for - let's say - feeding, if they are hidden under a "sheath of scales"?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Madly.

01/07/2012
01/07/2012
49.0% "Do I want to finish this? I don't know. Do I want to read the "real" book following this novella? Gosh, never." 1 comment
01/08/2012
70.0% "Almost done. Almost done. Yes, we can guess the royal traitor, yes, that forbidden guy is hot. Get over it."

message 1: by oliviasbooks (last edited Nov 29, 2011 09:18AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

oliviasbooks It's mermaids and it's for free: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...
Thanks, Alexa!

message 2: by Maya (new)

Maya even for free, is it worth reading?

oliviasbooks No. It's not a complete story. Only several teaser chapters leading to the main book. I got no idea whatsoever of the merworld and it sounded altogether very confusing and unbelievable. And the love-triangle ... oh my.

message 4: by Nomes (new)

Nomes LOL at the scales and nipple dilemma. seems a bit ridiculous :)

Katie_la_geek God i am so glad I am not the only one who disliked this.

message 6: by Jalyn (last edited Oct 09, 2012 08:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jalyn I wouldn't judge the series by the first part. It was very short and you didn't get much of the story there. I really enjoyed the first three books and I thought I should say that even though it seems really modest with their fins, the third book has the most explicit sex scene I've ever read in a YA book. And there wasn't a love triangle either, even though the novella makes it seem like there is.

oliviasbooks Oh, but I always do. To me a first part's job is to convince me of a series' quality. But I guess everyone operates differently in order to find fitting reading material.

Jalyn That's true. I've continued with a series even if I didn't like the first book all that much with the hope that I'd enjoy the second one better. Sometimes it's worth it and sometimes it isn't, but I try to continue if I can. I'm sure if you asked 10 different people about their reading habits then they'd all have different ways of choosing books :)

Lorena For me it goes like this: Some books send you packing before you reach 1/3 of it. Those are the very worst, badly written, bad plot, hate the characters or only one of the above but bad enough to send you reeling away in search of something with a better taste. Then you have the ones that you force yourself to read even though it is not good, but you want the writer to at least get the proper ending to the general plot, maybe you even liked a little the main char or secondary one even if the rest were unbearable. Those you won't be reading the second book. Third, you have a well if not amazingly written book that has problems. In those cases you can decide to be positive and go on reading the series in case it improves, or just drop it because it didn't really hit home. I think for Olivia this book was like the first case, and for Jalyn it was more like the 3rd one, maybe? :)

Jalyn Lorena wrote: "For me it goes like this: Some books send you packing before you reach 1/3 of it. Those are the very worst, badly written, bad plot, hate the characters or only one of the above but bad enough to s..."

Yep, you pretty much nailed it for me :)

Lorena I think I will read it on the weekend after I finish my current book. Just to see what kind it is for me :P

message 12: by oliviasbooks (last edited Oct 09, 2012 09:36PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

oliviasbooks It's really short, Lorena, more like a novella. ... And I finished reading it.

message 13: by Lorena (last edited Oct 09, 2012 10:04PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Lorena Oh if it's that short maybe I can squeeze it in today. Also, it might not really fit into any of my criteria for bad books >.> because of its lack of content.

Evenwith the distinction that you finished it, would you say it fits the "badly written, bad plot, hate the characters or only one of the above but bad enough to send you reeling away in search of something with a better taste" part? :P

message 14: by oliviasbooks (last edited Oct 10, 2012 01:11AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

oliviasbooks I have forgotten most of the details, but I disliked the heroine and her friends, the mystery stuff and the gosh-how-forbidden-and-grouchy-and-dangerously-sexy-is-that-guy, the human-boarding-school-under-cover thing and the powerless-princess-who-is-promised-to-someone stuff. Hmmm. Paranormal as usual, but not bad enough for one star. Many readers love novellas like this one. So have a try. Will take no time.

Rachael hahaha and I cracked up at panties ... I mean hello shes 16 no teenager i know calls it Panties unless they are like 5 !!

oliviasbooks Good to know. I am over 30 and I am certainly at risk of slipping the word into my verbal output now and then. It sounds wickedly nice to my ears. And I hadn't realized that I am not expressing myself age-appropritately. Ahhh, the difficulties of using foreign languages.

Rachael hahaha yeah im 34 and this book was free on kobo didnt realise it was a short novella till a few ppl said ..
hate when its left unfinished though
but was pretty obvious the love triange from the beginning
and to me as an avid and older reader could prob pick that she feels more for jackson than aiden and will prob end up with him .. despite her wanting aiden

message 18: by Rachael (last edited Dec 11, 2012 10:21PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Rachael Rachael wrote: "hahaha and I cracked up at panties ... I mean hello shes 16 no teenager i know calls it Panties unless they are like 5 !!"

hahaha no Nothing wrong with using it sometimes .. but prefer it from a hot man than a teenage girl (which I didnt think would use that word)
a hot man in the grip of lust maybe :D
didnt mean it to mean it to sound like Your too old to use it :)