Eden Patterson's Reviews > The Chosen One

U 50x66
Nov 29, 2011

bookshelves: to-read
Read in October, 2011

“The Chosen One” blew me away. It was fantastically horrifying. I literally could not put it down, that’s how good it was. The way the author (Carol Lynch Williams) wrote this novel was eerily truthful. She doesn’t try to shield us readers from the depressing events. Instead she does the opposite. She dunks us into the novel. I felt as if Kyra (the main character) was one of my best friends. Like I’d known her my whole life. As if I was right beside her throughout her story. I felt desperate to get her out of the awful situation she was in. To help her escape to the “sinful” side of life.

For those who don’t know, “The Chosen One” is about a girl named Kyra (13 years old) who was born into a polygamist family/ community. Although her community lives under strict rules, and traditions, Kyra’s different. She thinks for herself, and does “sinful” things.

She has three secrets. The first is that she has a plan to kill the prophet. Number two is that she reads books, even though it’s against the rules. Number three, which is probably the most scandalous, is that she has a boy friend. Which is a huge problem, because, Kyra is told (p.25) that she has been chosen from God to marry her 60 year old uncle Hyrum, who has six other wives! But Kyra refuses to marry him, and for the rest of the book, we follow her on her tragic journey to escape.

This story was like a movie playing in front of my face. I saw everything the author described so clearly. At most times, I wanted to look away, close the book, and run away. But I couldn’t. No matter how sad it got, the author always left hope that Kyra would get away.

When I finally closed the book, a million thoughts were racing through my mind. I heard that this book is based on a true story, and I don’t know if it’s true. But I needed to know how Kyra’s life was like after the book ended. I couldn’t stop thinking about how other girls lives are in polygamist families across the world. I felt the tug to help them. Wondered why such things still happen.

This book is something everyone would enjoy. It has humor, mystery, action, suspense, and it’s tragic. It’s one of those books you can read over and over, and still feel the same way. I know “The Chosen One” will stick onto to me for the rest of my life.
I would recommend this fantastic tragedy to everyone.

This book is an instant classic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chosen One.