P.J.'s Reviews > The Breakaway

The Breakaway by Michelle D. Argyle

Feb 20, 12

Read from November 29 to 30, 2011

Before I talk about the book, I want to mention that Michelle is my friend. She's been nothing but supportive in the years on the Internet we've known each other, and I am thrilled to read her books!

Okay, five things about THE BREAKAWAY and Michelle...

1) First, it is an intense story about a serious situation. I know this sounds kind of basic, but let's face it. I'm normally all about fantasy and science-fiction. So if I say that THE BREAKAWAY is realistic fiction, that doesn't quite seem to cover it. It's about a kidnapping and the time of captivity.

2) It's a complete page-turner. I mentioned intense in (1) above, and truly, this is the best word to describe it. I did not have any idea what the main character, Naomi, was going to do next. Would she try to escape? Would she fall in love? I couldn't (and didn't) stop reading.

3) It has complete crossover appeal. The main character, Naomi, is a teen for sure. But the main love interest is not. He's older and he's into way more serious dealings than what subject to sign up for at school and who his latest crush should be. He's an adult, and given this, I think adults would enjoy the story equally.

4) Michelle Davidson Argyle is one of the hardest working people I know. She inspires me to keep writing when I see how much she accomplishes. I think she has about two hundred more books in the works.

5) Sheer premise alone is reason enough to read this story. Seeing the struggle of the main character as she weights the pros and cons of her captivity and her less-than-stellar home life provides such a great, gripping read.

In short, I totally recommend this one for (mostly) girls, 9th grade and up, those who are fans of realistic, somewhat darker fiction.

Source of book: Provided by author by request

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Breakaway.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by E. (new) - added it

E. Anderson I so want to read this! Did you get an early copy?

P.J. E. wrote: "I so want to read this! Did you get an early copy?"

I did! it's very good! I have an e-book copy, so I can't lend.

Liliana Saquicela You are so ver lucky!!!!.....I want to read this book so badly!!

P.J. Liliana wrote: "You are so ver lucky!!!!.....I want to read this book so badly!!"

It's awesome!

rachel i know me too it looks so good

P.J. rachel wrote: "i know me too it looks so good"

Totally worth the read! I hope you enjoy it!

message 7: by Camille (new)

Camille I like the openness/honesty of your review.

P.J. Camille wrote: "I like the openness/honesty of your review."

Thanks!