Mattj's Reviews > The Wolf at the Door

The Wolf at the Door by Jack Higgins

U_50x66
Nov 29, 11

Personally I really liked this book, like many of the other Jack Higgins' novels. The plot was quite in depth and the back stories help the flow and my understanding of the novel. The story of Daniel Holley's drastic shift to the darker side himself and his struggles throughout life and into the present give the novel a darker, more intense tone. His dominance in the later half of the book was an interesting twist to the regular set of characters that Higgins usually uses, and I look forward to seeing him in future books.

The way the book was written was interesting as the outcome of the Russian’s actions were placed right in the opening page, jumping in to the plot without a second to lose. Because of that at no point at all did I fell the plot dragging on without a sense of progression.

I do believe contrary to other reviewer's opinions this novel is as good as some of his other books and the low rating isn’t truly accurate to the book's level of writing. On the contrary, the appearance of the same several selections of characters in many of his books is unappealing to me; but the introduction of Daniel Holley fixed that problem nicely.

The blurred line between "good" and "evil" added nice touch, as the story was portrayed from the views of both the British and the Russians. I felt like a got a good balance of the experience of both sides of an attempted assassination as well as a neutral view by someone who was unwillingly dragged in to this mess.

I would have given this book 5 stars but the rushed and slightly confusing ending was a letdown, but aside from that this novel was another strong production from a talented writer. Good Book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wolf at the Door.