♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)'s Reviews > Counterpunch

Counterpunch by Aleksandr Voinov

Feb 27, 12

bookshelves: excon-convict-hero, hero-abused-in-past, mm-lawyer-hero, mm-ruthless-hero, mm-sports-hero, wealthy-hero, bloodthirsty-bitches-club
Recommended for: Anyone who's in the Bloodthirsty Bitches Club

It's Not A Sport Unless Someone Gets Hit In The Face: The Most Vicious Fairy Tale

For a really good fairy tale you need an underdog
Meet Brooklyn. Brooklyn's a cop who, after accidentally killing a young girl, gets sold into slavery. An up and comer on the slave boxing circuit, Brooklyn vents his rage in the ring. The boxing scenes in this book are visceral and I could all but smell the blood and sweat. I could all but hear the bloodthirsty crowds and feel the frenetic energy that vibrated under the hot lights. In the ring, Brooklyn was the physical manifestation of pain, anger, frustration, determination and punishing power.

After the fights Brooklyn is whored out because essentially the management sees him as nothing but a money maker and they make that money however they can. He's not a person to them, he's a commodity to be used until he's all used up. Counterpunch is mainly a character study. Brooklyn is the most important character and he's a man that I felt for.

For a really good fairy tale you need a villain
Meet Curtis and the system. In the world of Counterpunch the prisons are full to bursting, so slavery has been reinstated. There are slave bracelets that give electroshocks, a breeding system and sadistic guards. Curtis is one of those sadistic guards. He doesn't pop up much in the story but he's representative of a system that's not ideal and not really monitored in any way, shape or form. That's who the real villain is in this book; a world where it's okay to own another human being and to treat them like nothing more than a piece of meat.

For a really good fairy tale you need a knight in shining armor
Meet Nathaniel. Nathaniel's a rich man, a very rich man, who buys a night with Brooklyn. Brooklyn's suspicious of Nathaniel's intentions at first because Nathaniel doesn't treat him like a slave. Nathaniel treats Brooklyn like a man, like a lover. And then Nathaniel does something big; he gives Brooklyn hope. He offers to help Brooklyn become a free man.

This story didn't have alot of romance in it and the romance that was in it was gritty. There were alot of intricacies to the way Brooklyn viewed his relationship with Nathaniel. There were alot of decisions that Brooklyn made and there was alot of thought that went into how he would let Nathaniel affect him. This was pretty realistic because hope and trust are a dangerous thing for someone who's a slave, especially when it comes to trusting someone who's free.

And then there's the fairy tale ending
The things that Brooklyn goes through near the end of this book are pretty horrific. Everything goes wrong right up until everything turns out right. I liked that Brooklyn's road to happiness wasn't easy because it was in keeping with the rest of the story. It rang true. I appreciated that.

I have to say that until I started writing this review I wasn't sure how I felt about Brooklyn's story. Now, I'm quite sure. It was good. Really good, and Aleksandr Voinov is now an author whose work I'll be reading again. I recommend.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Counterpunch.

Lauraadriana Awesome review! Glad you loved it!

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) Yup, it was good but my thinking it was good was definitely a delayed reaction.

❂ Endless Great review! The "fairy tale" ingredients was a very nice touch! I'm also glad you loved it too :D

Laddie wrote: "Yup, it was good but my thinking it was good was definitely a delayed reaction."

Hey, I kinda felt like that too, till i started listing a whole bunch of stuff I liked from the book...*shakes head* actually glad i'm not the only one! :-)

Lauraadriana Endless wrote: "Great review! The "fairy tale" ingredients was a very nice touch! I'm also glad you loved it too :D

..."

Totally can see that. Especially if you're not used to Aleks' writing it can take time. His books are so character driven.

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) Endless wrote: "Great review! The "fairy tale" ingredients was a very nice touch! I'm also glad you loved it too :D

..."

Thanks! Yeah, at around 65% I almost gave up because I wasn't even sure if I was liking it or not. I'm glad I kept reading though.

message 6: by ❂ Endless (last edited Nov 29, 2011 08:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

❂ Endless Lauraadriana wrote: "Endless wrote: "Great review! The "fairy tale" ingredients was a very nice touch! I'm also glad you loved it too :D

hmmm...this was my 3rd book by Aleks, and before this Scorpion was like win win all the way...it's just something about this book...It's like understated gold..or something! It took me a little while for the adrenaline rush to calm down and the whole story to sort of seep in before i got that epiphany of "Wow! I read something totally awesome just now...!"...you know...

message 7: by ❂ Endless (last edited Nov 29, 2011 09:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

❂ Endless Lauraadriana wrote: "His books are so character driven. "

Now that you mention it...they are they really are! I've read Lion of Kent and Scorpion before this... Extremely strong well developed character driven stories both of them and this one too ;-)

message 8: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Okay, this review just made me laugh (but in a good, nice way). I can totally see the fairy tale structure at work. Thanks!

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) @Aleksandr You have a really distinctive and unique writing style and I had to get used to it but in the end it turned out to be good stuff. And the boxing...oh man the boxing was awesome.

@LA and Endless Character studies are kind of rare in M/M now that I think about it. Most stories are plot driven so this was a bit of a treat. I definitely like this book more every time I think of it.

message 10: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov I watched a lot of boxing and read about it - and punched bags and pads myself, which provided some interesting insights.

Style-wise, I'm a bit of an acquired taste, but that's OK, those who love my "voice" love it very much, and I struggle to write in any other. :) Characters are my forte, plots is what I struggle most with, world-building is just a lot of research, which I enjoy. If you want more plotty stuff, there's Scorpion, which has some twists and turns I'm still proud of. Style-wise the best is Dark Soul, but I had an awesome editor ho kicked the shit out of my lazy habits.

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee) I definitely want to try more of your work, so I'll be checking out the books you mentioned.

I tried boxing once and, though I already loved it, I gained even more respect for it the first time I got hit in the face.

message 12: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Yep. Going three 3-minute rounds against a bag is hard enough work, but getting hit? Wow. Different ball game entirely.