Pamela's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Nov 29, 11

Read in November, 2011

I should probably change my rating from one star to two as I did manage to finish this piece of garbage. Is this supposed to be a YA book? I did the math, and the people the references seem to be appealing to are those who were young in the 80s. They aren't YAs today.

Some observations:

The author explains why things are so bad that people are happier in a virtual world, but he never says why IQs have dropped 20 or so points. I mean, come on! That first clue...and the reader is supposed to believe that ALL these people have been working on it for years? Gimme a freakin' break!

Author fails to explain why there's no equivalent of Google. Since obviously the characters can't figure out anything on their own, you would think they would at least be able to "google" some of their questions.

Hero's side kick turns out to be (view spoiler) OMG! How clever is that!

The Baddie works for a giant corporation! Now that's original...

I could go on and on, but this pile of crap doesn't deserve the keystrokes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alice The only reason I didn't mention the YA-ness of this book in my review is because I like YA, and didn't want to insult it by associating it with pedestrian, low-stakes writing.

message 2: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg I just wanted to point out that there is not an age requirement to enjoy YA novels. I love them and was a child of the 80s

Matt1962 Terrible review Pamela. The characters are constantly using search engines - just not ones conveniently labelled for you. As for the sidekick spoiler, sexuality wasn't the point, it was about gender and the nature of people behind their avatars.

I don't see this as a YA novel at all. I'm almost 50, and people of my vintage who lived through the 80s as young people are best placed to appreciate the countless fond nods to that era. I respect your right to criticise this book, but think you've failed to justify that criticism.

Bryan Raines This might be one of the most low quality reviews on GR. Did you really call this book a "piece of garbage"?

Pamela Bryan wrote: "This might be one of the most low quality reviews on GR. Did you really call this book a "piece of garbage"?"

Yes, Bryan, I did call this book a "piece of garbage", and in case you missed it, I also called it "a pile of crap".

Just because you disagree with my opinion doesn't mean you are right and I am wrong or that I have written a "low quality review". You obviously enjoyed the book. I just as obviously did not.

So......I suggest you GET OVER IT!

message 6: by John (new) - rated it 1 star

John Billings I very much agree with this review. Brian and Matt must have really low standards for writing quality if they like the 'book'.

message 7: by Colin (new)

Colin Bryan is right the review was not constructed well at all, if you read the book you would have never expected aech to be a lesbian or black or female. Yas means the lowest target audienc and up and what the fuck are you talking about iq