Angela's Reviews > Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born

Mar 26, 09

bookshelves: adoption, educational-fiction, picture-book
Recommended to Angela by: Jackie Marquardt
Read in March, 2009, read count: 1

Taken separately, I would give the text 4 stars and the illustrations 2 stars. The story is pretty sweet and straightforward - the "voice" of the book is a child who had obviously been adopted, reminiscing with her parents about the stories they've told her about the night she was born. The voice didn't sound much like a child, though, which was distracted me a little.

Not remotely as distracting as the illustrations, however. I am firmly convinced that they were put in to keep the parent who is reading the book entertained, rather than the child. They were certainly colorful, but not very well drawn. Also, there were "jokes" thrown in all over the place (a book with the title "Slim Thighs in 30 Days!" appears on a regular basis; when mom sings a lullaby the baby is looking at her with an "I can't stand this" expression on her face, etc.), which kept me rolling my eyes rather than smiling.

My overall recommendation: go ahead and read it, if the topic is relevant to your family... but, borrow it from the library.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born.