Sophie Duncan's Reviews > Death on the Nile

Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie

Dec 07, 11

Read from November 29 to December 07, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Well, I spent an extra 15 mins this morning finishing this off, because you can't interrupt a good Christie denouement!

I haven't read that many Christies, I pick one up every so often and make my way through it. And of the ones I have read, this comes near the top. It has good pace, economical description, giving us enough to understand the characters, but it does not dwell too long on anything - Ms Christie makes every word count.

I love her colourful characters, the Otterbournes, Cordelia, even Jacqueline de Belfour herself - the background characters have just enough to them to stop short of being caricatures and Agatha has a soft spot for the young women, because they have more depth than all the others.

I've seen several adaptations of this book on TV, one which was fairly faithful and another that was missing characters. I have to say, though, apart from the denouement, which doesn't actually happen in one go the book, I prefer the book, but I think the TV improved on the drama, if not the realism of the thing with an all in one accusation fest - let's face it, with Christie, no-one is looking for realism!

All in all, a good mystery (if I hadn't known already what had happened, I would not have got there the same time Poirot did, it is a fairly devious plot) and it is an easy read. It would make an excellent airport/flight book, easily finished during a transatlantic flight by any moderate reader (I'm not hugely fast).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death on the Nile.

11/29/2011 page 34
16.0% "Just finished Chapter 1. Good, swift style - Christie does not beat around the bush and we have most of the characters introduced. Another book I've seen on TV in many adaptations, will be interesting to see how close it is :)."
12/01/2011 page 100
47.0% "Oo - someone just tried to kill Linnet at the temple - the plot thickens. Seriously though, even though I know the plot, I am enjoying the book - Christie has a quick, to the point style, but you have to be sure to read every word, or you could miss something!"
12/02/2011 page 136
64.0% "Well, Linnet is no more and the investigation has begun. Y'know, it's funny, but I never felt sorry for Linnet when I watched the TV versions, but the book makes her a more subtle character and I am sorry she is dead. She may have been a bitch to Jackie and nicked her man, but she didn't deserve to die."
12/05/2011 page 190
89.0% "It's getting exciting now! The denouement is almost upon me! Poirot's little grey cells are at work and all will be revealed shortly. If I hadn't already seen the movie, tho', I'd have no idea what was happening, this is one of Christie's more devious plots."