khungkhing's Reviews > Heart on a Chain

Heart on a Chain by Cindy C. Bennett

Nov 29, 11

bookshelves: young-adult
Read on November 29, 2011

The truth is I didn't want to read "Heart on a Chain" at first; the book I wanted to read is "Geek Girl." Since those're form the same author, Cindy C. Bennett, so I thought that the writing style must be the same. And if I love this book, I'll love "Geek Girl" too. On the other hand, if I don't like it, I'll not wasting my time reading another book. It turn out I like it but not as much as I thought.

Kate has lived her whole life in abject poverty, with an alcoholic father and drug-addicted mother, who severely abuses her. At school, she's the target of bullying as well. Finally, everything changes (or gets better) when her knight in shining armor, Henry, come back to town. Main plot of "Heart on a Chain" is so mediocre but if you write it good, it'll be the awesome story. So I set great store by the author's creative writing skill; however, it's disappoint me a little bit. Some part of the story was so surreal to me. I have a very good impression at the beginning of the book but when I read further that feeling slowly fade away. It's like patients in coma whose ECG show the their heart rate's very weak and then the pain (boredom) increases and makes them loss hope. Finally, their heart barely beat but the good part comes out of nowhere and makes their heart beat again.

For the characters, I cannot tell much about them but only thing I know is it's freaky impossible. First, I don't think their are family that 100 percent perfect like Jamisons. So I love and hate them at the same time (because sometimes I think they are so fake). Kate, I like and annoy her but the pity feeling never come close to me. I think words that lie on each paragraphs are not reach me I feel nothing toward her abuse but I feel the love between her and Henry (I like that part). I adore Henry, though. However, the guy like that doesn't exist in the real world.

Overall, I like "Heart on a Chain" even though I didn't quit sure where the name of this book came from (maybe the gift that Henry gave Kate ... does it important enough?). This book have many mistakes (in my opinion) that the author manage to use Jamisons and Kate to soft its down. And it succeed, so I give this book three stars and I'll read "Geek Girl."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart on a Chain.