JJ.'s Reviews > A Love by Any Measure

Nov 28, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: first-reads, no

**Many thanks to Goodreads First Reads for this copy!**

A Love by any Measure is the typical historical romance, so I recommend it to any lover of that genre, but this book just wasn't for me. I enjoy the occasional historical romance but only if it manages to deviate from the cliche "virginal girl puts herself at the mercy of a ragingly sexual and rakish nobleman in order to save herself/her family, then they fall in love because the sex is so good" storyline. This book, unfortunately, epitomizes this cliche. I also had a difficult time believing any of the story's events because the dialogue was stilted, and it just sounded fake and amateurish. I couldn't help grimacing during, well, most of the story.

If you want to read a historical romance just for the sex scenes, this book is for you. If you also like the aforementioned cliche, this book has that down to a T. In short, this book may appeal to some people, but it just did not have what I look for in a story (believable plot, likable--if flawed--characters, witty/interesting dialogue, and romance that actually builds up instead of landing on the reader like unwelcome bird scat).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Love by Any Measure.