Jess's Reviews > Little Brother

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

Jul 18, 08

bookshelves: young-adult, dystopia, orca-2010-2011, mock-printz-2009
Recommended for: librarians, tech geeks, and the rest of you
Read in July, 2008

Where Librarians and Computer Geeks Overlap:

It’s the best thing I’ve read in a while, and already on my list of favorite YA novels of the year. First off, it has a great sense of pace and compelling characters - you’re not going to get anywhere without that. Second, add in some real drama and plot. Third, relate that plot to a) current events and politics, in a gripping way and b) issues dear to the hearts of librarians and computer geeks (and some of the rest of you, too) the world over - privacy, censorship and free speech.* Oh, and don’t forget a healthy dose of humor, a touch of romance, and explanations of technology actually make sense to little ol’ me. Throw in a few afterwards and an author’s note containing real, practical, optimistic information and plenty of advice for further reading.

You end up with something awesome. And I blame the book for a lot of my recent coffee cravings.

*I took a class this spring where we discussed a lot of these things - ethics, privacy, free speech, censorship, etc. - basically this book covered all the same information, but with plot. And no homework.

Some violence (perpetrated by our dear Department of Homeland Security), non-graphic sex, a bit of language...that sort of thing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Brother.