Kris Irvin's Reviews > My Name is Mary Sutter

Feb 01, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: 2012, bad-books
Read on January 31, 2012

This is the type of book that I should have LOVED. Takes place in the Civil War era, which I used to obsessed with. Main character is a strong-willed woman who wants to be a doctor more than anything. Yep. Guess what?

This book sucks.

It is so incredibly slow. The war doesn't even start until halfway through the novel. We focus on 3.5 different main characters at random times and in random places. At one point the story veers away from Mary for several chapters, and you are left to wonder ... where did she go? Did she run away because the plot was so bad? Is she hiding from all the "letters to family/friends" inserted in random places? Did she get squicked out by the gross old doctor guy who wants to jump her bones in the middle of a battlefield?

I vote for all of the above.

I cannot tell a lie. There are some decent scenes. The scene at Antietam and the aftermath was, I thought, very moving. Okay. I have now touched on the one good scene in the book.

The pacing was terrible. As in, put to me to sleep (literally) terrible. The characters all felt flat and forced. (Also, why does Mary refer to her mother by her first name? Isn't that totally 21st century?) The love interest made me gag. Even the hospital scenes aren't particularly well done. And here's the saddest thing: Mary is not a likeable character. She's a total brat ("strong willed" my butt. How about a self-centered wishy washy goober who HAS A DREAM but then decides NOT TO DREAM but then DREAMS AGAIN LATER.)

I just...this book. It makes me cry. It makes me cry crocodile tears and I can no longer formulate a review for the travesty contained within its pages.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name is Mary Sutter.

01/31 page 109
30.0% "This book is so slow it is putting me to sleep."
02/15 marked as: read