Lisa Kay's Reviews > Midnight

Midnight by Ellen Connor

Nov 30, 2011

bookshelves: genre-apocalyptic, genre-romance-sci-fi, genre-romance-paranormal, theme-pregnancy, vocation-psychic, buddy-read, reviewed-by-me, series-d
Read from November 28 to 30, 2011

★★★½✩ Geez. Another 3½ star read out of the fascinating author-duo. I thought for a while it was going to make a full 4 stars, because I absolutely could not stick with the “buddy read” schedule (in fact, I failed abysmally **hangs head in shame** and finished early). There is something here in the making of this post-Apocalyptic world series that keeps me turning the pages compulsively and rapidly, making me want to repeat myself from my review of book #1, Nightfall: it is the best 3 star read of the year and for that I’ll kick it up another ½ star.

The few problems I had were with Chris, Our Hero; his character from the first book has been completely over-hauled. I was looking forward to all that ‘geekadeliciousness’ and, instead, he is a new person. Granted, he’s been through a lot in the last five years, but still. It wasn’t that I minded his becoming a kick-ass warrior, but some of his personality changes made me say, “Shut the front door!” out loud. Still, the old-Chris popped up every now and then.

Also, I waxed and waned on liking Our Heroine, Rosa. She put me off and pulled me close, much like she did to Chris. Is she hard, is she soft? Is she Madonna or whore? She did make me ask myself if a female dictatorship was better than a democracy in a world that has gone all to hell ー when some people are too freaked out to think humanely. But then, she revealed a lack of that characteristic herself… so, nah.

All this is not going to stop me from reading the next in the Dark Age Dawning series: Daybreak. It comes out in December, 2012!

Nightfall (Dark Age Dawning, #1) by Ellen Connor Midnight (Dark Age Dawning, #2) by Ellen Connor Daybreak (Dark Age Dawning, #3) by Ellen Connor

6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight.

11/28/2011
21.0% "Loving this book so far. Started a "buddy read."" 2 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Regina (new)

Regina Oh funny! You are reading this now. :) I am reading the first one right now.

Lisa Kay I'm loving this series, Regina!

Heather Finished it this morning and definetly agree that this was a 3 star range book. Didn't like it as much as the first one though. I think is was Rosa

message 4: by Regina (new)

Regina I am so glad Lisa Kay! I feel so horrible, I DNFed, the first one. I liked so much about it, but it was off somehow. I wanted to love it. I think I went in with too much high hopes since it is a favorite genre of mine and Ann Aguirre is a favorite author of mine.

Could I jump to this one?

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill Nice review Lisa Kay. I still haven't got to read this though!

message 6: by Lisa Kay (last edited Dec 04, 2011 10:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay Yes, Heather & Regina, there is something "off" in the writing of this series and it is hard to put my finger on it. That is why the "buddy read" helps.

Regina, I can see how someone who reads this genera all the time wouldn't find it up to par.

Regina, yes, you could read this one w/o reading the first, I think. Especially since you started the first and know the set up.

Jill, that is very interesting, since you are the one who recommended #1, right? LOL! Or was I just lured in by the cover. **drool** But thanks!

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill Yes, I recommended book #1. And yes, you were lured in by the cover!

I just can't seem to find the time to get to all these books I want to read! But will. Eventually.

Lisa Kay Both true! ☺