Joe's Reviews > Little Dorrit

Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens

Jul 02, 11

bookshelves: top-20, classics
Read from June 23 to 30, 2011, read count: 1

It may have been only a few days, but I have put off writing this review for too long. In my book, this is the best of Dicken's novels. It has the most complex story in its many characters and the parts they play, yet it is one of his simplest in the storyline.

Dickens put some of his usual twists in this, but also put in a few I have never seen Dickens use before, and they were a very pleasant surprise. Not to mention his ironic humor going to an extreme.

Yet, what makes me love this book is that Dickens picked the most universal antagonists to build this story's foundation: Politics and Society. The novel is separated into two books. In this first, we find find Little Dorrit's father in prison for debt and tied up in a place he can't seem to find a way out because of many politicians' puzzles and paperwork keeping him locked up.

(minor spoiler) In the end of the first book, some of the other characters find a way to get the Dorrit family out of the prison. However, as the story continues their new position in Society puts them in a place where the expectations and rules they must follow take away what freedom they could have found.

Before reading this I always preferred "Barnaby Rudge" due to the poetic style of not just the writing but also the story. In the final 8-10 chapters of "Little Dorrit", in some of the most poetic methods I could have imagined, Dickens made "Barnaby Rudge" feel like a children's song.

This is an absolute must if you enjoy Dickens. At times I have found one thing disappointing in some of Dickens' work, and this can be a great one to turn to if you find any of his other plot lines to be a little too "chaotic". As for me, I can still feel it in my mind puttiing up a strong fight for number one on my list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Dorrit.

Quotes Joe Liked

Charles Dickens
“[Credit is a system whereby] a person who can't pay, gets another person who can't pay, to guarantee that he can pay.”
Charles Dickens, Little Dorrit