Kay Iscah's Reviews > Pretty Little Liars

Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard

Nov 28, 11

Read in May, 2011

I've really enjoyed the TV series, and I'm anxious to know who A is (DON'T TELL ME). So I thought I'd try reading the Pretty Little Liars book series, by Sara Shepard. There's supposed to be 12 in total, but after reading the first one, I don't think I could take 11 more.

The TV show has good writers. I was not impressed by the writing in the book. The TV versions of the characters are generally flawed but likable. The characters in the book are slutty or unpleasant in other ways or one dimensional. TV Ezra is misguided but lovable, book Ezra is just a jerk with poor self control. All the hair colors are changed, which is good, because nearly everyone in the book is blonde or some shade of blonde or has blonde highlights or blonde tones...yeah.

There were a lot of references to classic literature and music, which seemed inserted to let us know the characters were better educated than they let on. Maybe it was Shepard's attempt to get her readers to read more. They were far out weighed by the brand name dropping. I'm not big on designers or labels, but I'm pretty sure everyone is mentioned in the book somewhere. For giggly girls who spend their afternoons flipping through Teen Vogue and Seventeen, it probably connects to them, but I got rather bored with it.
22 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Little Liars.

John Agreed

ELIZABETH DURAN How

message 3: by Maddie (new) - added it

Maddie I thought there was only 8?