Stephanie W's Reviews > The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories

The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories by Ernest Hemingway

Dec 01, 11

bookshelves: book-club, short-stories, fiction
Read from November 28 to December 01, 2011

I always said that I would never fully understanding Hemingway's writing and style for 3 reasons.

1. I have never fought in a war
2. I have never been hunting/fishing
3. I have never been to Africa

This book has all of those elements. It's full of quintessential Hemingway writing style. There's a lot of dialogue and some great descriptions. The dialogue really movies the story along and the themes are primarily about death, suffering and feeling alive.

The first and last stories, "Snows of Kilimanjaro" and "Happy Life" were by far the best stories. One looked at life in the face of death while the other viewed death in the context of absolute living.

I still don't feel like I fully understand Hemingway. His descriptions of the fear felt when hunting lions was so foreign to me, but the themes were completely relatable (though perhaps not fully at this early stage of my life). The collection, albeit, a little depressing, could not have been any other way (especially at this point in Hemingway's life, when he was starting to become a little depressing anyway).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories.