Melissa's Reviews > The Crossroads Cafe

The Crossroads Cafe by Deborah Smith

Nov 30, 11

bookshelves: kindle
Read from November 28 to 30, 2011

If I could do half stars, I would give this book 3.5.

My main complaint was the length of time it took to set up the story. It was almost halfway through the book before I felt like the plot was moving out of back story into the main story. Granted, a lot of it was pretty important, but it could have been condensed some and still gotten the message across. A lot of descriptions in the back story can work just fine when the writing is stellar, but I found myself bored a lot, and only continuing to read because I wanted it to end. The best authors can paint a picture vividly and concisely. While vivid, this book can definitely not be called concise.

That being said, I still enjoyed it. The main events were moving and well-written, the characters quirky, but lovable. It was a soul-wrenching dive into the depths of grief and loss, and as a melancholic type of individual, that suited me just fine. But despite its heavy character histories (all of the main characters have experienced a great loss in some form or other), it didn't seem dark or depressive to me. It was a story about suffering, but more importantly, about moving on--about living on.

I'm not sure if I'll ever read it again (it did seem very long), but as it was free and on my Kindle, I'll always have that option, if I so desire.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crossroads Cafe.

11/28/2011
11/29/2011
35.0% "Looks like the plots finally moving a little. Only took almost half the book to set up the plot...."
show 2 hidden updates…