Namratha's Reviews > The Sweet Life in Paris: Delicious Adventures in the World's Most Glorious - and Perplexing - City

The Sweet Life in Paris by David Lebovitz

Dec 15, 11

bookshelves: cuisine-capers, journey-within, light-relief, memoirs, books-i-love-gollum-style
Read in December, 2011

Certain books demand an accompanying snack. This book called out for unlimited bowls of Salted Salli (those twee matchstick-shaped potato chips) followed by a just-adequately-melted chunk of Cadbury Dairy Milk Silk : Fruit & Nut.

Ergo, any blame for the consequent kilos that settled on my hips can be placed squarely on the shoulders of David Lebovitz.

The Sweet Life in Paris describes aforementioned chef (and master of wry observations), David Lebovitz' topsy-turvy stay in the enchanting and often, mind-boggling city of Paris.

When he isn’t scratching his head over the quirks and sometimes, downright rudeness of Les Parisiens....he is sharing intoxicating recipes. When he isn’t scouring out places to discover the best, the freshest and the oddest of ingredients....he is waxing lyrical about the foodgasmic splendours that he encounters on a regular basis. When he isn't trying to avoid a fatal incident with his antique dishwasher...he's soaking in the beauties of a magnificent city and trying his level best to shed his Americanisms.

Every few pages of faux-pas galore is peppered with glorious descriptions.

Here's a little peek into why I am going overboard with the purple prose :
~ Lots of buttery pastries and crusty breads smeared with plenty of golden-yellow butter, the likes of which I’ve never tasted before.
~ Freshly churned rose-flavoured ice-cream, it’s perfumed aroma infused with the fragrant petals she’d plucked from her dewy garden that morning.
~ Wedges of very dark chocolate cake, made with European style bittersweet chocolate, which was barely sweet.
~ Rows and rows of unctuous chocolates filled with everything from creamy ganache to whipped mousse au caramel.
~ Bins of sun-dappled apricots, fresh from Provence, their sunny orange skin promising sweet, succulent juices.

After a while, I throw my hands up with an insouciant air that would make a world-weary Parisien proud. And I succumb...

I succumb to the day-dream of floating on a fuzzy cloud that looks a lot like a meringue.
I succumb to the devilish intention of recreating GATEAU THERESE (A French lady’s version of Chocolate Cake which seemingly grows more divine with every passing day).
I succumb to the vision of visiting a city where the people may be rude, the service may be shoddy, the doctors may be dodgy and the shoelaces may never be of the desired length.....but the food......the food will always be *MAGNIFIQUE*

The Sweet Life in Paris can best be described as a perfect dish. Sweet, salty, sour, spicy...all the senses hummed with joy.I savoured this book. I would recommend it to all the foodies, the fledgling and master chefs and the lovers all things yummy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweet Life in Paris.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jaclyn 'Twas a delectable book, no? =)

Namratha Oh, Jaclyn...beyond delectable! :)
Making *GATEAU THERESE* today :))