Robin's Reviews > The Hummingbird's Daughter

The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea

Dec 28, 11

Read from November 28 to December 28, 2011

This was a very compelling, well written epic with lush prose sprinkled throughout. It was wonderful to see the author speak in Berkeley recently, a must see author when you have the opportunity.

Some favorite quotes: "When the chilis hit his tongue,....It was so painful they had no further words for its wonder." p.89

"The edges of the day were pouring mercury, burning, upon the hills." p. 117

"...the darkness only a suggestion, a blue drip of shadows from the hills coming their way from the west, and a bruise spreading throuh the tissue of the sky from the east." p. 119

"On cool days, the bees hung around the doorways to their homes in groggy gangs, only peeling away to fly to their jobs with great reluctance." p. 191

"...when a medicine woman hugs you, if she means it, she will move you to the side and put her heart on yours." p. 218

"Sometimes, while she was asleep, she read books in distant libraries. In dreams, French or German was easy to read." p. 251

"Tell me which is worse Pope Chavez-is it that God cannot cure them all, or that He will not cure them?" Cruz was silent. He had no answer. He resented the question." p. 376

"The priests just laid one fairy tale over another, and they used the same spot for the same kind of fairy." p. 394

"They promised themselves to kill quickly, cleanly, so they could return to their homes, their beds, their families, their church." p.434

"If one doesn't feel like it, two can't fight." p. 441

"You know your sister rides like a hurricane. I think I can keep up with her."
p. 444

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hummingbird's Daughter.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Leticia Garcia Bradford I finished it in a week to get it back to the library for the next reader. I imagine if I read more slowly I would enjoy the landscape more.

Robin Wow! You're a fast reader! Hope you can make it to the author's reading in Berkeley next week. Let me know if you need a ride.

Leticia Garcia Bradford I really would like to go. I start working at See's this week for the Christmas holiday. Thanks for the offer.

Robin Oh yum! That would be a very tempting place for me to work. I would probably eat all the profits. : ) Such great memories tied up with Sees. Enjoy!

message 5: by Loretta (new)

Loretta Siegel Robin wrote: "Oh yum! That would be a very tempting place for me to work. I would probably eat all the profits. : ) Such great memories tied up with Sees. Enjoy!"

Michelle Lemaster I knew you guys would love this book! It's one of my very favorites. Definitely worthy of a five to me, but to Robin? That's a compliment. Robin gives out the fives only very rarely.

Robin Thanks Michelle for recommending this wonderful book. Yes, it is a sure fire five in my book!

Michelle Lemaster Happy New Year, Robin!! Can't wait to see you at the book group. You'll be there right?

Lots of love from me and the girls,
Michelle

Robin Happy New Year to you and your darling family! We've missed you at the last couple of book groups. I look forwarding to seeing you next week.

Love and Big Hugs to you and the girls,