jD's Reviews > God's Eye

God's Eye by A.J. Scudiere

Dec 01, 11

bookshelves: 2_kindle_own, fantasy_angels-demons, 2011-read
Read from November 28 to December 01, 2011

Had I truly known more about God's Eye, I would not have read it. First, it was very dark and downright scary in some places. I can do creepy and have done it many times. The difference is that I knew I was going to the dark side. I did not come across that tidbit when I decided to read it. So I am telling potential readers upfront -- this is no paranormal romance about angels and demons. To be honest, I am not sure what it is, horror and mystery for sure but it's not being marketed that way.

Bitchin' aside, it was very well done. The story is told from third person which was a wise decision by the author. The heroine, Katharine is being tortured by events happening around her that she can't explain. She is having visitations by animals that disturb her sleep and disappear through the floors leaving only ash. Katharine is the kind of person that pays no attention to the world around her, she simply exist. So when her shallow uneventful life begins to unravel, she finds she is alone and unprepared. At the same time she begins to investigate the strange occurrences, she meets two beautiful men -- one being a new neighbor, Zachery and the other being a new colleague, Allistar. These men take her out of her comfort zone and begin to influence her quiet existence while keeping her in a sex-filled haze. No, this is not erotica but there is plenty of briefly described sex.

As Katharine searches for the truth, she meets Margot a librarian who helps her decipher strange messages written on her mirror. The two figure out that these men are not human and that one is a demon seeking Katharine's soul. The story picks up the pace at this point but not by much. It moves very slowly but manages to pull the reader in. I did not figure out which was the good guy and which was the demon. The mystery was weaved so well, I could never truly decide. To me, that was the magic of the writing. A. J. Scudiere did an exceptional job of giving little hints but never enough to reveal the truth of who was what.

The writing, plot development, and mythology make this a 5-star read for me. I am going with 4-stars because the book was just too long. I don't know what could have been edited but I feel that it could have been about 100 pages shorter. The length made the pacing too slow overall. None the less, this is a book I will remember.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God's Eye.

21.0% "Oh My! This puppy is 419 pages. It's so sloooow...but it is weird enough to keep me reading. I certainly hope the pace picks up soon or I am moving on."