Laural's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Feb 09, 12

Read from February 02 to 08, 2012

Overall, a very good read. I enjoy a good apocolyptic future novel (Hunger Games, Ready Player One) and this one didn't disappoint. That being said, it's hard to not draw comparisons between this start of a series and Hunger Games. Both take place in a dire America, this one separates its people at the age of 16 based on a personality test of sorts rather than geographical districts. They each feature a strong, butt-kicking female lead. And the story centers around the important role that female plays in changing the overall society. Yet I didn't find this quite as compelling as HG. Close, but not quite. And I can't even put my finger on why not. I liked Tris' unapologetic but conflicted motives and emotions. I liked the emerging love story. I liked the twists and turns of the story, some predictable and some not. Maybe it's the fact the HG came out first and took the "shotgun" spot in my heart for dystopian future young adult novels. Still, the end of this novel is really the beginning of the next in the series and I'll keep up with it to see how it turns out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.