Kathie's Reviews > The End of Everything

The End of Everything by Megan Abbott

Nov 28, 11

Read in November, 2011

Everything about this book looked promising and I picked this book up fully intending to become engrossed in it. I was disappointed to say the least. The choppy writing bothered me from the start; Abbott was trying to say too much by saying too little and it simply didn't work.

It was really Abbott's portrayal of Lizzie that ultimately put me off completely. What 13 y/o would deal with the alleged abduction of her lifelong best friend so casually? Lizzie should be upset. She should be doing everything she can to help find her friend; her reactions makes me feel she is the most disturbed character of all - which is saying a lot considering every single person (other than her brother, who is a minor character) had serious issues.

I never understood her reasons for being so secretive with the information she had - I think it was to highlight her desire to dole out information to Mr. Verver in a way that would garner the most attention from him, but that does not explain things like moving the cigarettes or not telling what Evie said to her about "him" before she disappeared.

Also, Lizzie knowing things but not quite being able to grasp them got old fast. It simply wasn't believable unless she lived in a fog.

The dreams were unnecessary and contributed absolutely nothing to the plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Everything.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Samantha Glasser She was secretive with her information because she was trying to protect everyone, herself for sneaking around when she shouldn't have been, Mr. Verner from a possible gruesome discovery, Mr. Shaw's son for giving her the information, and even Evie for possibly knowing more than she was letting on.

I think at that age, kids become numb to a lot of things and act very selfishly. Sure she was afraid but she was also becoming a closed-off teenager and the only person she would have been able to confide in was missing.