Katelyn's Reviews > Boom!

Boom! by Mark Haddon

6192669
Nov 28, 11

Read in November, 2011

1. Science Fiction

2. Jimbo and his friend, Charlie, eavesdrop and overhear their teachers talking about capturing humans and taking them to planet Plonk. Charlie wants to figure out what they were talking about, but Jimbo does not become interested until after Charlie disappears. Jimbo and his sister must get along in order to save the day.

3. A- One area I would like to comment on, the humor. The author made this science fiction entertaining through wit and sibling rivalry.

B-This book is a strong read for boys because of the adventure and point of view. I thought there was positivity in the message of sibling bonding, and working together. However, some parts may be inappropriate for young readers. There is smoking, and bullying. Another component, I found to be negative, was the font. It is in the typical sci-fi font, and that bothered my eyes. (I may just be getting old).

C- Becky and Jimbo pick on each other, like all siblings. But Becky’s boyfriend threatens to kill Jimbo, I just found this to be inappropriate because of the intensity. Punching, smacking, or even beating someone up can be comprehended, but threatening to kill is an entire different level.

4. This could be tied into science, reading, and writing lessons. Teachers can use this when discussing the solar system, or the scientific method. It can also help to encourage writing about imaginary planets, or if students spied on the teachers lounge, what they might hear =) There are a few cute ideas for writing assignments.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boom!.