Seamus's Reviews > Rifles for Watie

M 50x66
Nov 28, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: currently-reading

I am still reading Rifles for Watie, and so far I must say that I'm not impressed so far. Though the author does do a very good job with detail and figurative language, he did a bit too well - meaning of course that he put much too much of this and not enough of getting to the point. Another thing I'd like to complain about is the length of the Chapters - considering how much of it is actually meaningful and/or entertaining - and the fact that there are about 11 Chapters in the beginning before anything particularly interesting happens. Another thing that crossed my mind is that there's quite a lot of nudity for a book intended for 4th Graders. I thought it was ironic how the author strained his abilities to avoid profanity, but did not care to apply the same amount of work to eliminate the nudity in the story.

I'm a very dedicated reader, and normally I find some way to enjoy a story, but I simply could not find a way to enjoy this book.

Another thing I'd expected from a book about the Civil War is feelings of depression over the deaths of the characters. The only problem is, the author took so much time describing the scenery and the little things that he didn't take much time to let me know the characters (many of the characters also appeared for a chapter or less before dying), so I there was not much to grieve over.

If you enjoy historical fiction or the Civil War I might recommend this book for you. However, if you are not, you might not find much entertainment reading through his (the author's) description of historical events.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rifles for Watie.

message 1: by Tania (new)

Tania Kapoor can you please give me one example of the figurative language please? i just need any i can't find any at all.