Sara Hannon's Reviews > Ten Little Mummies

Ten Little Mummies by Philip Yates

Nov 28, 11

1. Picture book/Counting

2. Ten little mummies all crammed in a tomb decide to go out and have some fun. But one by one, they all start to disappear.

3. This is not really a book for young children. It would be a great book for late kindergarten or early first grade when children are really learning how to count backwards. The strength of this book really is the emphasis and the counting structure. We start off with a big red ten, and when one runs from the sun due to heatstroke, on the next page we see a big purple nine letting us know that there are only nine mummies left. Then a large "nile" and "big crocodile" give us a feeling of what is important in this page. With the simple drawings and solid color backgrounds make the numbers stand out even more. PLus, the one or two bold words really add some fun to the story, making you emphasize words like "whoosh" and "pyramid slide!" more than usual.

4. I would use this book as a fun way to work with counting backwards or to introduce Egypt as the book does include some very fun facts about ancient Egypt and mummies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Little Mummies.