Tamara Rose Blodgett's Reviews > Eighth Grade Bites

Eighth Grade Bites by Heather Brewer

Nov 29, 11

bookshelves: paranormal-psychic, paranormal-urban-fantasy, vamps, ya, middle-grade
Read on November 28, 2011

I've had this first book and the remainder of the series on my nightstand for A YEAR. All my sons read it and said it was pretty good. I'm such a paperback snob now that it took my Kindle going on the fritz for me to bother. I'm glad I did, it's really a fun read. It is the perfect, upper middle grade level paranormal vamp book, super-short, witty with a nice thread of mystery and intriguing details about vampire lore throughout. Of course, as a female I dig the male POV, it's fresh and interesting.

Vladimir Tod is a dude that's not cool and gets harassed for it at school. He's also half-vampire. The book unflinchingly details the routine of Vlad's daily life and the struggles of hiding his true nature while trying to mainstream in eighth grade while he does. Trouble strikes when his English teacher goes missing and the substitute who replaces him seems a little *too* sharp for Vlad's comfort. Add in a girl that he likes that he's too shy to pursue and the bullies who won't stop bugging him, Vlad's vampirism almost takes a back seat.

Almost. The best part of this book is the last twenty pages when Brewer introduces action and pacing that was a lacking in the first two thirds. These fast reading, simple books are mildly addictive and I think I'll be reading the rest. I find I like Vlad and wonder what will happen to him in the future. The author left some unanswered questions that beg answering. People that enjoy middle grade fiction that's well-done with subtle humor and a male POV will really like this book. It may be too "young" for some adult readers and the inconsistent pacing of action may not be for all but I really liked it. Super clean too, for parents that are worried about gratuitous elements.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eighth Grade Bites.

11/28/2011 page 45