Alicia's Reviews > I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced

I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali

Nov 29, 11

bookshelves: abuse, dysfunctional, historical, multicultural, nonfiction, religion
Read from November 28 to 29, 2011

** spoiler alert ** A very simple and straightforward story told from a reporter who got to know Nujood after she bucked convention and asked the courts to divorce her much older husband after just a few weeks of forced sex, beatings, and verbal abuse. Astoundingly, the divorce was granted and Nujood was able to break ties and move back home.

There isn't much fanfare with the story and not a lot of poetic license which I appreciated. And, not only was it the story of Nujood, but her family, her local community, and her Yemeni culture.

(Her oldest sister is married with children when the sister's husband sleeps with the second oldest sister and they are jailed for adultery while the children as taken to be raised by the mother-in-law. An older brother "runs away" from their village in hopes of something better but by the end comes back home with the family. The father, while put on trial for his participation in the arranged marriage of his nine year old daughter is forgiven by story's end).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced.